In today’s virtual world presenting your instruments well in your videos or sound recordings is paramount. During this lecture and Q&A session guitarist Mike Cahen & recording engineer and producer Steve Forward will talk about efficient recording techniques, instrument and gear choices for recording, as well as the musician’s perspective on what they find important to see and hear. The talk will include:
- Acoustic guitar recording: Microphones and Transducers, choice of microphones, placement and phase
- Electric guitar recording: Choice of instruments, pickups and impedance, cables, plugs, transmitters, amplifiers, D.I. boxes (multipoint recording) D.I from amp.
Microphones and placement.
- The Musician’s perspective: Using instruments in the studio & on stage.
- Q and A with the audience
Mike Cahen is a London born guitarist has a wealth of playing experience including session work in London, Spain and France. Selected artist credits include Lionel Ritchie, Ruf’s Blues Caravan, Benjamin Zephaniah, Elkie Brooks, Suzi Quatro. Personal projects: RogMikEnzo with drummer Enzo Todesco (Gino Vanelli, Frank Gambale) and bassist Roger Inniss.
His current projects include recording with bassist Steve York (Dr John, Eric Clapton) keyboardist Duncan Mackay (Alan Parsons Project, Colosseum) and producer Steve Forward.
Music studies: initially self-taught he attended the GIT in Los Angeles and graduated in 1986.
He also works as a consultant for equipment promotion, community management, distribution and validation for FX pedals, amplifiers and guitar pickups.
Other selected credits:
Lectures, Workshops and teaching music, composition at Gustave Eiffel University.
Innovation, branding and communication workshops at the Celsa/Sorbonne and ISCOM for 5th year Master students.
International Music Seminars.
Record company: Speegra
Steve Forward is a British Freelance Recording Engineer, Mixer and Producer with 40 years’ experience in more than 300 major studios in 16 countries.
- Professional Guitarist 1980/82
- Pro-tools recording and mixing specialist since 1995
- Record production, production budget management, artist development, live recording, musical arrangement and midi programming.
- Member of the jury for students studying for a higher diploma in sound engineering at the Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique et Danse, Paris
- Lecturer in surround sound mixing and production techniques for the Institute National de L’Audiovisuel; France.
Selected credits : Paul McCartney, Ray Charles, Squeeze, Manfred Mann’s Earth band, Gary Moore, Willie & The Poor Boys : Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, Jimmy Page, Chris Rea & Paul Rogers, Stevie Wonder, Robert Palmer, The Christians, Depeche Mode, Fischer Z, Robin Trower, The Pretenders, Johnny Hallyday, Motorhead, Brian Eno, Eddie and the Hot Rods ,Axel Bauer, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Serge Gainsbourg, Ute Lemper, Diane Tell, Papa Wemba. Scott Walker, The Ramones, The Damned, Wreckless Eric, Lene Lovitch, Hawkwind, Sid Vicious.
Event Timeslots (1)
With MIKE CAHEN and STEVE FORWARD